Thursday 26th March 2020
I wanted to provide you with an update as best that I can on our Gladiators football season 2020.
You may be aware that the AFL recently recommended that community football delay the commencement of their 2020 football season until 31 May 2020. After some encouragement from a number of YJFL club presidents that YJFL adopted the AFL’s recommendation.
However, with the outlook for coronavirus changing on a daily basis it is difficult to imagine that we will be able to start our football season on 31 May. We will wait to hear from the AFL and the YJFL about further updates and recommendations regarding possible start dates however at this stage I would be surprised if football was able to start before the commencement of the school term 3 on 13 July. It is also a realistic possibility that we will not be playing football at all this season.
The YJFL have indicated that they are keen to at least have 5 or 6 games of football even if it involves playing in August and September. Night games midweek have also been mentioned as a possibility.
Our most important consideration is to protect the health and safety of not only the boys and girls that play for our Club but also their parents, grandparents and other family members who act as officials, supporters, transport providers and carers.
If a decision is made in due course to cancel season 2020 then we will provide information about refunds etc.
In the meantime please stay healthy and safe and I will provide you with a further update about our football season as soon as I can.